I found this recipe on the Proud Italian Cook, these have truly turned into one of my favorite mid-week meals. Normally, we have a butternut squash (with salad) during the beginning of the week and then we will cook some chicken another night... then we toss it all together add some extra goodies we have leftover in the fridge, along with the other recipe ingredients - cook - cool and indulge.
Here’s the ingredients:
1. A previously roasted chicken breast, I seasoned mine with a drizzle of olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper.
2. A previously cut up and roasted butternut squash that was drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper. You’ll have leftovers, but that’s a good thing, that’s what I made my risotto with!
3. A huge handful of fresh spinach, coarsely chopped.
4. Onion, garlic, fresh thyme.
5. Grated Parmesan cheese.
6. Puff pastry sheet defrosted, and shapes cut out with a cookie cutter.
Here’s what you do:
In a saucepan melt 1 tablespoon of butter and saute 2 minced garlic cloves and 1/2 of a small red onion.
Stir in 2 tablespoons of flour, season with salt and pepper and then whisk in a good 2 cups of chicken broth, maybe a teenie more, also add some fresh thyme, and a generous handful of grated cheese.
Note* If you want the sauce to look creamier stir in a tablespoon of milk or half and half, but you really don’t need it!
When the sauce thickens, turn off the stove and throw in your chicken, squash and chopped spinach. Scoop ladles full into your buttered ramekins and place your puff pastry cut out on top of filling, ( brush a little milk or cream on top to help get it golden brown).
Bake in a 400F. oven untill brown and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes.
Sending Love from SoCal